• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Xenoblade Chronicles X] General Discussion: Lin Lee Koo's Tourist Information and Nopon Recipe Thread

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
This game is really good if:

- You like exploration
- You think Fallout is too small and doesn't have enough addiction mechanisms
- MMO*ish* combat while being a party based single player RPG sounds like a good time to you
- Where every character switches melee and ranged at will yay!
- You want to play a JRPG with a customised PC
- You want to play a JRPG where ignoring the main plot to wander is perfectly acceptable
- You eventually want mecha

I have high hopes the story is going to make sense, so far the way humanity is treated as extremely important despite being technically backwards and hunted by every alien that isn't explicitly a cute mascot creature looks like a legitimate mystery rather than a plothole. Even if it doesn't though, hexcrawling my way through beautiful scenery (and traversing it with a surprisingly good jump, bouncing up cliffs actually kinda works) to fight giant monsters is going to be a treat.

But of all the cities of earth to recreate as our last cradle of civilisation on a distant world, why in the name of all that's holy would you choose LA? o_0

CaButler

Validated User
Didn't they mention it was because the ship was launched from LA, and thus, wanted to name it after that?

I just got the game, but because my Wii U is in the living room, I'm essentially fighting for time on it, and I'll probably get a couple of hours at most. Especially when nobody really shares my interest in RPGs.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Didn't they mention it was because the ship was launched from LA, and thus, wanted to name it after that?
Yeah, each colony ship matches a city. My rhetorical question is more for MonolithSoft than the residents of NLA :)

CaButler

Validated User
Yeah, each colony ship matches a city. My rhetorical question is more for MonolithSoft than the residents of NLA :)
Oh, well I feel like an idiot.

Though to be honest, I suspect that Monolithsoft really, really wanted this game in the US and didn't want to go about it the long way, so they probably thought that naming it after an American city would do it.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Oh, well I feel like an idiot.

Though to be honest, I suspect that Monolithsoft really, really wanted this game in the US and didn't want to go about it the long way, so they probably thought that naming it after an American city would do it.
Somebody there loves LA, yeah :)

There is a lot of incidental NPC dialogue in this game, and you do pick up a lot of worldbuilding wandering around. The LA-ness of it is explicitly a method for counteracting the stress of humans trying to adapt to an alien environment, that's why it happens even when it's amusingly impractical (they're still building the high density accommodation they badly need; until then everyone's share housing in an upmarket LA suburb; there's a shopping district because retail therapy).

I'm getting a certain fridge-brilliance theme from it; if the plan had worked you'd have humanity distributed around the galaxy, but you'd end up with a colony a bit like Osaka, one a bit like KL, one a bit like Sydney, like Abuja, Paris, Vancouver etc. A lot of humanity's culture would have survived in new forms, even with the planet itself destroyed.

Instead, as far as anyone can tell, human culture is now LA :)

An Automaton Adrift

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Holy shit, this game. Got it on Friday, spent more or less the entire weekend in it. It fucking rocks. More elaborate post to follow when I'm on a PC.

Last edited:

Assclown

Validated User
I have been playing it for a bit during the weekend. Because shit at work, way less then i was planning. I have run into a problem where i cant find the spots for probing in some of he hexes. It is not that I dont have the skill for it, i cant find the Bright shinning light. Is some of them more hidden then others and i am just bad at finding them?

An Automaton Adrift

RPGnet Member
Validated User
There are some where I have spent a good while searching for the laser and even after finding it, haven't managed to actually get there. There are two such places in Primordia near Biahno Lake. In one case all approaches to the laser that I could see are guarded by monsters way out of my league.

That said, if you post the specific hexes where you can't find the laser, maybe I can direct you. Documentation of the game on the net is very sparse at the moment.

What classes are you guys playing/planning to go for? I still can't decide between Blast Fencer and Partisan Eagle.

Assclown

Validated User
Well i think WiiU is the best complementary console to a gaming PC... It is not to late to come over to the dark side yet young pcgamer.

On topic, it was the ones close to the lake I did not find. Now I have found one, that is on a mountain guarded by lvl 40something monsters. So that one will be a pass. I am not sure for class. Went with the top tree with the idea of going tank, but I am starting to waver. I might test out the other trees to see how they play out.

Top Bottom