• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

You Kick and We Bang

Paka

Or call me Judd
Validated User
Write the Kickers and we write the Bangs in response. Make sure to quote clearly so that everyone knows which Kickers you are refering to.

Go!?

T

tetsujin28

I arrived home to find my family slaughtered. Some say by wolves, others by the mysterious tinker who passed by yesterday.

Paka

Or call me Judd
Validated User
tetsujin28 said:
I arrived home to find my family slaughtered. Some say by wolves, others by the mysterious tinker who passed by yesterday.
Maybe a touch more set up than that. Tell us the themes the game is exploring, the character you have made up and anything else a DM would know about the game they're set to run.

Thanks, sorry this was so vague, posted while doing half a dozen other things.

alexandria2000

Validated User
A young Dynast, recently Exalted as a Solar, is on a journey to find his lost fiance, who vanished in the North. Going along with him are his formerly estranged brother in the Immaculate order, and his other brother's bastard daughter, who grew up in the fighting pits of Nexus and could probably kick both their asses.

In the Dynast's backpack is a set of 'living' Gateway pieces, animated by a spirit that seems to have a connection to the set's present owner. As it stands, the Dynast doesn't have the entire collection of pieces, and the spirit wants him to get all of them - even though he and it have no idea where they are.

Go.

Oops -- I posted after a bunch of other posts.

Hi guys...

this might work this way.

But let me suggest that the reason a Kicker is called a Kicker, is because its' the last detail added to the character sheet. In other words, there's got to be a character first.

I think the kicker should come at the end of the character description.... Who is this person? What are their strengths? How do they earn a living? What's his life been like up until the Kicker is added to his bio? In this way, the Kicker has context, and propels this person into an unexpected place.

(Some sense of what you want the story to be about would be nice as well... Thematically, or some such. This would be inferred or made explicit in the pre-play character generations session with the other players and the GM.)

Christopher

szilard

Inspirational Trinket
Another project (though, perhaps, it should be in a separate thread): Come up with a character concept and background, and have someone else add a kicker onto it.

-Stuart

Hi Alexandria.

Remember a Kicker suggests/sets up a Scene.

When the Kicker is writen down on the character shett, its usually a sentence.

The requirements for a Kicker are that it:

be emotioanlly engaging
require the need for a decision
be open ended in the choices made

So, given your description so far:

What do you want the issues to be about this game (responsibility, honor, the obligation/misery of family)

and then, can you ADD to what you've already posted a one sentence Kicker? Something that says, "And now this happens...!"

Hi tetsujin28,

All of this for you, too, my friend.

By bringing in wovles and the tinker you're already kind of plotting. ('Ah, an investigation!' Well, maybe, maybe not.)

After you come up wiht the PC background, the Kicker might end up being, "I come home to find my family torn to pieces." Now, who your guy is, where he lives (alone on an empty plain, in a city) and more will affect which direction he's going to go.

And remember, the GM needs some room to play to, so don't front load Kicker with too much information. We're looking for emotioally engaging, open ended decision points.

Christopher

alexandria2000

Validated User
Christopher Kubasik said:

The requirements for a Kicker are that it:

be emotioanlly engaging
require the need for a decision
be open ended in the choices made

So, given your description so far:

What do you want the issues to be about this game (responsibility, honor, the obligation/misery of family)
Gah, there's a lot built into that character, who's a gambler at heart (which explains the board he's carrying around)

Probably the major theme I thought about with him was obligations to those around him, crossed with his love of taking risks and willingness to do so for his friends and loved ones.

Top Bottom