• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Your examples of games that were broken by players (without actually breaking the games' rules)

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
Annd here is you complementary bucket of darkside points. Congrats your PC became a NPC before the game even begins, thanks for the new villain.

I have NPCed many a Jedi that fell to the darkside. Only the first one is tough, it gets easier.

True enough :) -- but I wasn't saying that anyone would, or should, get away with that. I was replying to a point made by Jetstream.

LuciusAlexander

PalindromedaryRider
Validated User
Endless are the ways in which Humanity can fuck things up. :/

Also the elite Ferengi won't just let their peons wander off to join the Federation. They will work hard to deny those peons the opportunity to depart.

Really? What makes the peons valuable to them?

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises

candidgamera

Atomic Turtle
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Team Shitty Deckers was pretty great, but Let's Drink Beer and Sucker-Punch All the X-Men gets my vote for thread winner.
Seriously.

"Hey, Kitty Pryde! Fuck YOU!" *whack* "And Nightcrawler, too!" *thump*

I can't stop giggling.

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User
True enough :) -- but I wasn't saying that anyone would, or should, get away with that. I was replying to a point made by Jetstream.
It wasn't that good a reply to my point anyway. More people will play not-Jedi in Star Wars than not-Starfleet in Star Trek. My point still stands.

Mark Mohrfield

Validated User
(and yes fabricators did exist in TOS but the implications were largely glossed over because Roddenberry had a lot less control in TOS)
Can anyone cite any examples? In any case I'd argue that effectively, they didn't exist as they had no, well, effect on the setting.

Last edited:

candidgamera

Atomic Turtle
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A lack of scarcity certainly reduces internal conflict, but Star Trek has plenty of conflict on cultural and territorial grounds. They can't replicate planets and stars, after all. I've had very good experience in both Star Wars and Star Trek games overall, but a couple of amusing incidents along the lines of this thread :

I played a chief engineer in a future-Trek game, and used the implications of replicator technology to construct a self-assembling Dyson Sphere. Oh, it wasn't finished by the time the game was over, but essentially, you have triangles that collect energy to replicate copies of themselves and put themselves together in a certain pattern. From the same game, we also used a hollowed out shuttlecraft with a containment field inside as a warp-speed antimatter bomb. Essentially just a much larger and faster torpedo, but it was a nice big blast. The GM nearly derailed that game, though, by becoming so used to us thinking up ridiculous tricks to overcome challenges that he wrote an ambush with no plausible escape - because he assumed we'd come up with something anyway. Multiple heavily armed, fire-while-cloaked vessels hitting us while shields were down. I think he softened the subsequent rounds of damage, so we were able to run and down a slingshot maneuver around the sun, time travel back a few hours, and take care of the problem with an in-universe retcon.

Yeah, there are tech problems with Trek. On the bright side, I did get to destroy a whole mess of Borg by blowing up a star with trilithium, so..

And then Star Wars - depends which edition you're playing, but explosives can be pretty game-breaking in a lot of contexts. Star Wars Revised d20 is also prone to 'stun lock' - since even a successful Fort Save vs. Stun results in the character being stunned for a round.

My most recent Star Wars character is a Scoundrel with maxed Bluff and Computer Use, and there's very little I can't do, in a non-combat context.

NoMessiah

Validated User
Maybe someone should start a "How Star Trek and Star Wars Are Broken (or Can Be Broken)" thread so this one can get back on the track?

Polaris

Validated User
Can anyone cite any examples? In any case I'd argue that effectively, they didn't exist as they no, well, effect on the setting.
I believe that Kirk (or other members in the TOS) refer to fabricators occasionally but yeah, it almost never affects the actual plot or setting in TOS (and for good reason).

David Artman

Designer and Producer
Validated User
GM said he wanted a "semi-co-GM" character from me, to help make a Champions game a bit wilder and different for a jaded group.

IDEA: 1D6 Penetrating Transform, Always On, 0 END; coupled with a Psych Lim: "Thinks he's living in a medieval fantasy world".
RESULT: Major deprotagonization of all other players' PCs as my character's delusions slowly but surely converted the idioms of their powers to medieval fantasy special effects (I was 'kind' enough not to transform them into totally different powers, FWIW).

Believe it or not, the game lasted a few sessions. Until the time we simply HAD to take a private jet across country. It was a dragon carrying a howdah by the time we landed. :)
Plane owner (a PC) was understandably pissed off. Player of PC, too. :(
Explaining the "semi-co-GM" nature of my PC didn't matter.

LESSON: Those STOP signs next to some powers should be taken very seriously!

Top Bottom