Your favorite task resolution system

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, in thread https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/mansplaining.842624/page-2#post-22442700, HDImagination (dunno how to link names) mentioned asking people about their favorite task resolution systems on Facebook, and it going south.

I didn't see an equivalent post here, so I decided to make one.
My favorite would be from playing Shadowrun with Masterbook cards. Shadowrun is a D6 dice pool game, and the cards have entries like "+1 success", "+2 successes", "opponent fails" and the like. Each player (and the GM) had a hand of 5 cards (I think), and a player could play their cards during someone else's action to influence the outcome. It made the game more exciting, because each player could influence the game at any time. For important events, you could have the GM and 3-4 players all throwing down cards.

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
My favorite system? It's d6 Star Wars with a small number of dice. The system mechanically breaks around 8 dice but if you keep it smaller than that, it runs seemingly well.

Also, as an offshoot of the d6 Star Wars system is the d6 Legend system. That one uses dice pools and success counts but keeping the pool smaller would work wonders for both.

sd_jasper

Validated User
3d6 roll under. Has a good range (3-18), bell-curve, skills/stats go up in value, skills/stats are the target number so you know what your rolling for, and (related to bell curve) exceptional results are rare.

In second place I'd put the Fudge/Fate +/- dice system.

Mr_Sandman

Validated User
I like 3d6, roll under skill/attribute. I like that it's less swingy than a single die, and criticals have a small range, but one that can be meaningfully expanded without becoming really common.

The James Bond 007 system of percentile, roll under skill x ease factor, with ranges of success was pretty neat too.

GM Joe

GMing Since 1982
RPGnet Member
Validated User
3d6 roll under. Has a good range (3-18), bell-curve, skills/stats go up in value, skills/stats are the target number so you know what your rolling for, and (related to bell curve) exceptional results are rare.
Same here. It's a happy medium. Not too many dice, not too swingy, +1 still matters but +3 isn't overwhelming, etc.

Second favorite is D6 System. It's just amazingly straight-forward and works across a reasonably wide range.

Third would be % using a chart to make it less linear and pass/fail, as with James Bond 007 and FASERIP.

Dropkicker

Part Time Dilettante
Validated User
Marvel Heroic's roll dice pool, add two and pick effect die. (That's the most basic form, it can be modded to different degrees).

Snow Goon

Credible Hulk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The one I'm most comfortable with is the old WoD dice pools. I can intuit those for pretty much whatever I need. On the other hand, the resolution system I like the best is Call of Cthulhu's roll-under percentile.

DavetheLost

Validated User
I like Fudge dice and the Fudge scale.

I also like playing card based systems in general. You can do fun things with cards, not just the numbers but the suits. Castle Falkenstein had a fun system for that, each suit covered a different type of action, high cards within suit were best, out of suit cards all scored the same.

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
I like Fudge dice and the Fudge scale.

I also like playing card based systems in general. You can do fun things with cards, not just the numbers but the suits. Castle Falkenstein had a fun system for that, each suit covered a different type of action, high cards within suit were best, out of suit cards all scored the same.
They did something similar with the TSR Dragonlance 5th Age system using cards etc. I really liked that system too but never got to play around with it that much. It's collecting dust somewhere in my den.

Top Bottom