Your favorite task resolution system

Stacie.Winters1

Banned
Validated User
Tanta Bansho Zero roll under dice pool system.

You got Attributes. You got Skills.
Roll a number of d6's equal to combine total.

Your margin of Success is the number of dice you roll under your Attribute rating.

It's very much a system that asks the player what's more important... Having high attributes but lower skill ratings or having more average attributes to have greater skill ratings.

Runner up:
FFG Legend of the Five Rings

We now have a dice system that helps us Feel like we're in Rokugan.

Mankcam

Validated User
In order of priority:

1. D100% - just seems logical to me, rolling under a percentile is an easy way of measuring your chances. (Not to be confused with D100, which is just a roll over mechanic with a granular scope)

2. Fudge/Fate Ability Ladder - very easy to conceptualise, due to the emphasis on narrative terms

3. D20 roll over TN - familiar, and reasonably simple and intuitive.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Swords Without Master, with a rather unique 2d6 mechanic. Each die has a "tone" associated with it: one is Glum, the other is Jovial. When you take an action, you roll the dice, and the higher die describes the tone of your action, which can be described as you will, success, failure, or neither. If both dice are the same, your character gets "stymied", and you describe how something interferes in the action your character was taking, causing it to backfire, et al.

I really enjoy how that mechanic shifts the focus of dice rolls from "did I succeed or fail?" to "how did my action shape the flow of the ongoing narrative?" It winds up producing delightfully colorful fiction.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
It's very much a system that asks the player what's more important... Having high attributes but lower skill ratings or having more average attributes to have greater skill ratings.
I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Would you mind elaborating?

seanairt

Validated User
All my favorite games tend to revolve around 2D6-based mechanics. Traveller, PDQ and BoL all occupy a similar territory of my mind. Runner up would be Fudge / Fate's 4DF. I generally dislike dice pools that don't put a cap on the number of dice rolled to keep the pool from getting out of hand.

Rupert

Validated User
My favourite general task system would be Megatraveller's 2d6 system, or the very closely related 2300AD system (nearly identical aside from using a d10 and not using margins of success as much).

For long tasks, I'm a big fan of the one used by Aftermath!, Bushido, and (I think) Daredevils. The referee sets (or uses the numbers from the rules) the task's turn length (the interval between skill rolls) and how many 'points' you need, and each rolls adds a certain number of points (margin of success, or based on a relevant stat, depending on the game). Some tasks can lose points on failed rolls if that makes sense (designing something, for example), but don't if it doesn't (bashing in a door, say), and it's easy to adjust the feel of something by fiddling with the turn lengths and points required.

Bob Loblaw

Validated User
Probably Blades in the Dark. You roll a pool of six-sided dice and take the highest. 1-3 is a failure with a consequence, 4-5 is a success with a consequence, 6 is a success, and more than one 6 on the dice is a critical success. Only the players ever roll; NPC's actions and responses are reflected in the consequences of the players' rolls. It's simple, and the consequences/complications drive the story forward almost independently of the GM's plans.
Echoing and amplifying this. In addition to what you’ve said, there are some really great options for teamwork. Set-up rolls, assists, and group actions are all great. I also like that characters can roll unskilled with a reasonable chance of success, it just uses up resources or has additional consequences.

Also, position and effect. When doing a difficult thing, the chance of success doesn’t really change. The GM just has two handy dials to adjust what success and failure look like.

Sangrolu

Social Justice Ninja
Validated User
1) I always sort of dug the 007 system’s percentile mechanic.
2) 2d6+stat+skill has been a workhorse for me, with the MegaTraveller UTP version being one of the best. The task profile let’s you both model situations on the fly as well as making a consistent format for cataloging common tasks.

Tom B

Validated User
I've yet to see a resolution system that I like better than in CORPS by BTRC.

1. If task difficulty after modifiers is equal to or less than your skill, no roll is required. You succeed automatically.
2. If the adjusted difficulty is higher than your skill, then you roll a d10.
If difficulty is 1 higher than your skill, you succeed on a 9 or less.
If difficulty is 2 higher than your skill, you succeed on a 7 or less.
etc.

(There's an optional rule for extreme cases if you want to use it.)

You often don't have to roll at all, especially if you're very skilled. If you do roll, it's a single d10 roll.

Stacie.Winters1

Banned
Validated User
I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Would you mind elaborating?
Its about how you spend your character build points during character creation.

Because it's a roll under system, and the base Target Number to get a Success is the rank in the Attribute you are using then having a higher rank will statistically give greater odds of getting a Success.

It's much easier to roll under a 5 than a 3.

However, the points you use on Attributes can't be used on Skills, so your skills won't be as high.

I do think I have to correct my previous message. You only roll a number of dice equal to your Skill rating.

So the points used for skills give you more dice to roll. The higher your Skill rating, more d6's.

But if you spend a lot of points on Skills your Attributes will be more on the lower side.

You can have a skill rating of 7 or 8, but if the Attribute is a 2 than you only get a Success on any nat 1's rolled.

Top Bottom