• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Your favorite task resolution system

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
Genesys from FFG does this. At least that is my memory from running Edge of the Empire a few years ago. You built a dice pool based on your skill, the opponent's skill, and any situational modifiers. The symbols on the dice results determined success or failure, and also any advantage or disadvantage. Advantage could be any sort of beneficial little thing, including setting up your friend to get a better chance on their next roll, or getting to take another action, disadvantage could include dropping a weapon, or alerting the guards. A mix of mechanical and narrative effects. Driven by the different symbols on the dice. Reading the rules for the first time my reaction was "Oh, God! This is so complicated, we'll never get through this game." In play it only took us a couple of dice throws to get the hang of it and really start enjoying the system.
I haven't played any of the FFG Genesys games but I have been under the impression/understanding that I would like them for these reasons.

CitizenKeen

Rules Lawyer
Validated User
My two have been listed.

Take the highest in the pool, a la Spire and Blades. It's a nice simple system with enough dials to play with, and I like how the math of adding more dice curves out. I like all the fiddly add-ons that Blades has, and I really like how Spire builds its pool.

Narrative Dice. Sometimes the Genesys system has a little too much crunch for me (not a critique of the system, just sometimes I don't have the energy for a full on point-based feat system), but the dice themselves are unlike anything else I've encountered in my RPG career. I look forward to a day when I can play some kind of Genesys Accelerated.

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
I dig a good roll and keep system. L5R 4e, Savage Worlds, D&D 5e, etc. Specifically I enjoyed L5R's attributes+skill d10 system with roll and keep. I'm a sucker for a good non-d6 small dice pool game.

I also love a good non-binary resolution system. I'm a bit burnt on Genesys, but that's only because I've been playing with that system pretty regularly, nearly weekly since Edge of the Empire beta book came out. I absolutely enjoy the advantage/threat results being independent of the pass/fail resolution.

Modiphius' 2d20 system at its core resolution is really fun, but in my experience gets really bogged down in meta currencies.

I enjoy dice that roll rather than flop. I've been noodling a bastardization of a (upto) 5d12 system (because d12s are fun to roll and under-loved) with fudge dice "+, blank, -" in a roll and keep system. Something like an attribute is your keep number, skills are your dice amount. Try to get TN = 1 to 5. And mix some kind of non-binary resolution system in. Something like each + and - on the dice means something in the fiction of the game, and can be used by you and against you as appropriate, but the net number of your roll and keep roll determines success or failure. Regardless of success or failure: Negative rolled dice might cause auxiliary effects like dropped sword, run out of ammo, lose social face, etc. Positives might increase social perception or mood of those around towards you, find a shortcut, recover a lost item, etc. Just spitballing

flump

Validated User
I like Fate best:

4dF modified by some relevant attribute (eg a skill or approach).
A ladder that grounds the numbers in reality.
A limited supply of points you can add in afterwards if you have a story reason to do so.
Plus the ability to turn a loss into a costly win.

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
(because d12s are fun to roll and under-loved)
if you look around (maybe on old kickstarters) you can find d12s printed with 1,2,3 four times, 1,2,3,4 three times, 1-6 twice, +,-,blank four times, etc.

There are other d12 ophiles around. 😄

Marius B

Euro-Trash
Validated User
MegaTraveller's UTP system is my favourite for its ability to distinguish between not only difficulty of a task but also its trickiness, dangerousness and more.

Cosmic Hobo

Madman with a Boxed Set
Validated User
Either “stat + skill” or “skill or stat” roll under systems with 1-3 dice. So games like Toon, Call of Cthulhu, and Paranoia XP. I know you can do some math to make roll over work, but I like the simplicity of rolling under an easy to find target number. I’m also quite a fan of PbtA games with their simple 2d6 resolution.

Simple and easy to get out of the way so we can get to the story.

SibKhatru

Validated User
We enjoy the 2d6 PBtA method, but we've designed a game system with 3d6 and slightly tweaked results, 9- is a miss, 10-14 is a hit, and 15+ is an awesome hit. We like that a little extra room exists with modifiers (plus, we get a drama die in the pool, and we have a little more of an advancement scheme going, alongside a skill system and some powers that are less niche-y than a playbook sort of thingy).

shockvalue

The Puncher Strikes!
Validated User
Another fan of the Cortex Plus/Prime system. Each part of your character sheet adds a die to your pool, roll, keep the top two. Any 1’s rolled become things that go wrong for the player.

Super intuitive. Gives the fun of rolling a bunch of dice without the slowness of adding them all up or counting successes. And very versatile: allows for extra optional fiddliness like keeping more than 2 for the total, stepping up a die, doubling a die, or using the “Effect Die” option like in Marvel Heroic (and lots more).

Firepart.Creature

Validated User
Probably Blades in the Dark. You roll a pool of six-sided dice and take the highest. 1-3 is a failure with a consequence, 4-5 is a success with a consequence, 6 is a success, and more than one 6 on the dice is a critical success. Only the players ever roll; NPC's actions and responses are reflected in the consequences of the players' rolls. It's simple, and the consequences/complications drive the story forward almost independently of the GM's plans.
I have to agree, with Marvel Heroic coming in second. I have been running Blades in the Dark since I got my hands on it, and have moved on to Scum and Villainy for my sci-fi at home games since it uses the same system. It boggles my mind how simple and how deadly this game can get.

Top Bottom