Your favorite task resolution system

Ariketh

Validated User
Stat + Skill + Modifiers = number of dice vs a fixed TN/DC. d10s or d6s doesn't matter. (4e/5e Shadowrun or Chronicles of Darkness as an example.) The only math I have to do is the size of my dice pool and how many dice roll =/> the TN/DC. It gives me lots of dice to throw and gives me less math. (Well, compared to the other games I play.)

soltakss

Simon Phipp - RQ Fogey
Validated User
HeroQuest.

Each side rolls 1D20 and compares the results. the Narrator, or Players, narrate the effects of the results according to the situation and contest. Simple as that.

Soylent Green

Polar Blues
Validated User
I like Fudge dice and the Fudge scale.
Totally agree. I was a fan of 4dF even back when I had tyo make my own. Having skill and difficulty rated on the same scale in plain English combined with 4dF smooth bell curve and making the margin of success very obvious works so very well.

Kaemaril

My other car is a TARDIS
Validated User
I'm a big fan of Ubiquity, as used in Hollow Earth Expedition, All For One, Leagues of Adventure, Desolation, Quantum Black, etc.

Simple dice pool vs. target number, but you can use any even-sided dice you like. Dice pool of 8 and you want to roll a d4, d6, d8, d12, a d20 and a few d10 for good measure? You absolutely can. Or just 8 d20, 8 d6 etc? You can do that, too. A success is a binary 50/50 chance, so you can say a success is any even number, or any odd number or the top 50% (5-6-7-8 on a d8, for example) or the bottom 50% (1-2 on a d4). It's really very flexible.

Or (for non critical situations) you don't need to roll any dice at all, and can just 'take the average' - since any dice roll is a binary yes/no, you can always divide your pool by 2 and say that's the average - for example, if you'd normally roll eight dice you can just not bother and say you got four successes.

Ubiquity's great fun :)

downer

Fairy Tale King
Validated User
I'm a big fan of anything that uses outcome tables. I first encountered that with Rolemaster Standard back in the '90s, though I believe all versions or RM have this. You roll your die, you add your skill and you look up the result on a table, telling you how successful you were. IME, it doesn't take much longer than a binary system to operate, but it allows you to easily have multiple levels of success, each with well-understood outcomes (since they're listed in the table). While you can do stuff like that without a table, IME it always requires extra math ("Was that 50% above what I needed to roll?"). PbtA games do a very similar thing, so I like those, too.

Blue Planet V2's Synergy System. A Stat+Skill+-Modifiers roll under with 1d10. Simple, elegant and flexible.
Wasn't that the one where you also could have more than one die, depending on Aptitude? So, for some skills, where you were especially gifted, you'd roll 2d10 or 3d10, and you only needed 1 success, but 2 or three would make the result more awesome. I liked that.
Ubiquity's great fun :)
Yup. Neat system, simple and functional.

Stacie.Winters1

Banned
Validated User
Thank you S Stacie.Winters1 - I was imagining how its done in the Infinity RPG for a moment, which I think is why I was getting confused. I assume there'll be instances where you'll want multiple successes as well then?
Yes, because the GM still determines how many successes you need, which is the number of hits needed in the dice pool.

This system also works if you want it to be the Attributes tell you how many dice to roll and your Skill rating determines your base success number for hits.

Stacie.Winters1

Banned
Validated User
I do like Cinematic Unisystem (Buffy), Cortex Prime (Smallville), Apocalypse World Engine, Fate, Elite: Dangerous, Earthdawn and Torg Etermity rpg systems a lot too.

If I would have remembered Torg Eternity in my first post I probably would have listed this as my favorite single game engine. The unique application of the d20 and it's weird die chart and exploding die system, mixed with the Drama Deck (Which makes it so dynamic and gets rid of that pesky initiative roll) just makes it exciting.

TheRoleplayer

Nowhere Man
Validated User
I'm usually happy with anything that offers more than just yes/no results, and where attributes and skills have different weigh in the chances of success. It turns me off when someone with, say, advanced training in knife fighting but average agility has equal chance as someone agile but just starting with the blades.

Also, my preference today goes to more minimalist systems, particularly those where half the stats are pre-defined and the other half are player designed (like Fate or Unknown Armies 2).

Daydreamer

Twin Son of the Bright Prince
Validated User
I really dig PbtA. It's easy to explain to newcomers, and the success-with-a-cost funciton can produce some interesting turns in the plot. It's also the only system I can think of that can replicate a scene where a single powerful villain fights off the plucky group of heroes and exchanges blows with each one.

Top Bottom