Your last game played, part 2

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Christmas is always a time of gaming with my nieces. The following is what I played.

Las Vegas
Onitama x3
Azul (with my sister and brother-in-law)
Beasts of Balance x3
Ice Cool
Downfall of Pompeii (with my sister and brother-in-law)
Tsuro
Sherrif of Nottingham
Klask x2
Fireball Island: Curse of Vul-Kar

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
Tried out Mechaforce, which is basically what would happen if you put the Battletech rules in a car compactor and squeezed it into something that could literally fit in your pocket. I mean, there's actually a fold-up brochure version of the seven-page rules as a printable pdf included in the download. The thing is, things like the heat scale and stuff are still there, just much of the time-savings come from simplifying the most time-consuming part of play, which is the damage allocation. The various tonnage ratings are abstracted down into the four weight classes, but it's still very much a build n' bash, , how-high-should-I-turn-up-the-furnace sort of game, and most of the rules are similar enough that any BTech player can just slide right in.

drkrash

Fighter
Validated User
Tried out Mechaforce, which is basically what would happen if you put the Battletech rules in a car compactor and squeezed it into something that could literally fit in your pocket. I mean, there's actually a fold-up brochure version of the seven-page rules as a printable pdf included in the download. The thing is, things like the heat scale and stuff are still there, just much of the time-savings come from simplifying the most time-consuming part of play, which is the damage allocation. The various tonnage ratings are abstracted down into the four weight classes, but it's still very much a build n' bash, , how-high-should-I-turn-up-the-furnace sort of game, and most of the rules are similar enough that any BTech player can just slide right in.
Where is this available? This sounds like something my son would love.

Crothian

Validated User
We played Star Trek Ascendency yesterday. The poor Romulans had Hazards everywhere that kept eating his ships. The Federation on the other hand found some great neighbors how gladly joined him. The Klingons got fed up with the Federation so attacked him with a huge fleet out numbering the Federation 2-1. The Dice went the Federation way and they only lost 3 ships compared to the Klingons losing all 12. The Federation went on to the easy win.

Mr_Flibble

Professional Amateur
Validated User
First game of Rising Sun yesterday, with 4 players.
The two players who knew the rules beat me and the other guy hands down.
Got a better idea of the tactics now.

The game felt a lot like Sho-gun but without the randomness of the dice combat and with added politics/diplomacy.

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Had a bunch of people over for games and combined D&D on one end of the table with Dixit on the other end. After food we played Secret Hitler and I leveraged my harmless appearance and sneakiness to squeeze a win for us Fascists despite being assassinated.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Another game of Underwater Cities and there is no consensus, half like it more than Terraforming, half dont (although everybody likes it), half thinks it doesnt have anything to actually do with Terraforming and half do, but if you press them to say why, they cant answer.

I'm on that camp, btw. I mean, the game is absolutely nothing like Terraforming except in having a big pile of cards, and not even in that there is a lot of resemblance, so... why does it keeps giving me that feeling, when it doesnt even play like it?

Hoping to have some new stuff played today if I can get the group to go along with it - Unearth and/or Vindication.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Another game of Underwater Cities and there is no consensus, half like it more than Terraforming, half dont (although everybody likes it), half thinks it doesnt have anything to actually do with Terraforming and half do, but if you press them to say why, they cant answer.
At the end of every year I look at all the "Best of the Year" awards from reviewers. For 2018, Underwater Cities, Gizmos, Western Legends, and Architects of the West Kingdom are the ones I don't have that I think I may add to my collection.

Also, slight plug. Over on BGG I'm the person administering the Reviewer's "Best of 2018" meta-Compilation GeekList. It's a yearly list, but this is my first time doing it. It attempts to aggregate and rank the best games of the year based on Reviewer "Best of 2018" lists.

Top Bottom