• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Your last game played, part 2

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Underwater is very good. Like it much more than Pulsar 2849, which is the only other game by Suchy I have. (And not a bad game). But it is very much a Euro's Euro, that is for sure.

And now to read the list you curate and curse you if I end up adding more stuff to the list of "to buy" :p

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
Tried out Founders of Gloomhaven tonight. We had a good time, but sadly was only a two-player game. I think it would really shine with 3 or 4 players. As it was, we ended up with a near equal split of resources, and had one main road which connected everything. Hrm, actually I might owe my win partly to the one prestige building that only I was connected to, earning me point even though it wasn't one we completed.

rolanddarktower08

Validated User
A few games the couple of weeks of The World of Smog: The Rise of Moloch. Victorian steampunk dungeon crawler with the Queen's agents trying to stop the spread of the minions of Chaos as they try to bring Moloch into the world. Fun game, usually excellent CMON figures, and drips theme. I like that players are never eliminated; their agents are incapacitated and can come back on the next turn.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
New stuff played

- Unearth: quick game, almost a filler, not difficult to explain or understand but while nice is a bit... you know when you have a ruleset that seems like you are going to do a lot of stuff, but then the game ends and you have done like 5%? I dont see how one can ever do more than very few marvels and some not-very-big sets of cards. But hey, is a good way to wait for somebody to come for the main even of the night. Or to close the night when you dont want to go home but starting a 2h thing is not a good idea

- Wildlands: bit weird in my opinion. Not that I did not enjoy it, but if you approach it as a skirmish game it is disappointing. It is very fast, VERY fast, quick and easy, but at the same time the card mechanic is something I dont like in this kind of game (You see a big hulking behemoth coming toward your blunderbluss female dwarf.. You wait patiently for it to come and beat you into a pulp because you dont have any cards for the blunderbuss female dwarf. Great). Still, game is fast, and can be fun, we had some hilarious last minute scrambling to stop victory. Well, no scratch that, thats not fun, I was going to win and my opponents made that :p

- 878: Vikings: This looked very interesting and I would not mind playing more, seems a wargame-little thing with interesting mechanics. But somehow the Viking side was not at the top of their skill and luck (first part obvious, it was the first game) so we brave Anglosaxons ended up sending them home on Round 2 :p But everybody had fun and want to repeat.

- Vindication: played without any expansion. Liked by everybody - it really looks like some "trashy" game but it is very much a Euro of moving cubes around and figure engines of how to do that more eficiently, with "sandbox" aspects of letting you decide what route to take to that. Well, unless as it seems the Monster path is stronger than any other, in which case it is going to be less sandboxy. But again, everybody had fun, the game looks complex and intimidating but once explained is quick, turns flow easily and you have fun trying to figure out if you want to go for more companions, more traits, mixed companions or all the same colour, more relics, whatever. Next time I'll introduce some of the expansions just to have new stuff to try.

All in all, one of the best sessions so far.

Mr_Flibble

Professional Amateur
Validated User
Highlander - Got eliminated after 15 minutes, spent 30 minutes playing on my phone.
Binding of Isaac - Got a reasonably good array of defensive treasures and one soul before we ran out of time for the evening.

Crothian

Validated User
I've played them both. I like the differences without them they would be the same game and that wouldn't be any good. The building of the villages and doing other things in Above and Below is not much different then the assembling the adventure party and doing all the town actions. It's still all about being efficient in your movies and getting the most out of the short turns.

Victim

Validated User
Did you play Above and Below? What would be your feeling about what is different in them?

My group didnt like Above and Below very much...
I've only played each one a couple of times, but Above and Below felt a lot more random to me. Some of hidden parts of the events or failed rolls could really mess you up, or pulling a strong character from adventuring could give someone a strong leg up. Near and Far, at least in one off games, seems tighter.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Did you play Above and Below? What would be your feeling about what is different in them?

My group didnt like Above and Below very much...
If your group didn't like the storytelling, then they won't like Near and Far, it's very similar to Above and Below though less random. If they didn't like the goods accumulation, Near and Far doesn't have any of that.

-----

The only thing I got a chance to play last week was Roll for the Galaxy but thankfully the new player got into it pretty quickly and seemed to like it.

Top Bottom