Your last game played, part 2

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
They mostly felt that it was neither of those. That it could be an Euro or an adventure but somehow got stuck in no man land instead of being an hybrid.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
They mostly felt that it was neither of those. That it could be an Euro or an adventure but somehow got stuck in no man land instead of being an hybrid.
They are not going to like Near and Far if that is their complaint. It's even more a adventure/Euro hybrid than Above and Below is IMO.

Last edited:

Victim

Validated User
More Spirit Island. Thunderspeaker and Lightning versus level 2 England on Dahan Insurrection. England made it harder, but not as much as Thunderspeaker made it easier, especially when I drew some good Dahan based powers. Getting fast powers from Lightning on Thunder also meant some of those slow dahan powers could sweep areas before they could ravage (preventing builds only rarely works against England). So the island was once again saved from the colonists!

RadioKen

mailed a second mongoose
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Introduced to Caverna earlier this week, playing the most basic two-player version the rules allowed for. Definitely more going on than in Agricola, which on the one hand means that I rarely felt boxed-in the way I can playing Agricola (though that might also be a two-player setup leaving more options on the table).

Before that a couple rounds of Ticket to Ride: Europe, for which I seem to have a weird knack. (But one of those wins came off a really good initial ticket draw that let me stitch four routes together.)

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
A lot of new games for the group this last Friday. First a 3 player game of Pitchcar for the first time which was good, but would be better with 5 or more players IMO. Then 2 games of No Thanks! while waiting for a fourth player, then our first time playing Gizmos which I liked a LOT. We then played 5 player games of Las Vegas and Roll for the Galaxy.

Nearly as much fun, we then all sat around the table for an hour and gabbed. A few of the players hadn't been around for awhile and it was good to see them again.

Last edited:

rolanddarktower08

Validated User
Couple of games of Attack of the Kaiju. Game captures the feel of kaiju city-stomping and body slamming. The components are not so great, but they get the job done. We played a 1:1 game and then 2:2 game. 2:2 game was a bit slow, but we were learning the ins and outs of the rules and the abilities of each kaiju. I would love to play a 4 player game with one kaiju each.

Crothian

Validated User
We finished up Pandemic Legacy Season 2 and it is such an intense game at the end. We pulled off a victory but many times it felt like we were going to lose.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ok, weekend, some stuff...

- Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress which was more or less a failure with the group, with the best review being mine that is... well... not bad, not good, just is? Rest of the team didnt like it at all, too simplistic, too much grinding, nothing to do but move shoot move shoot move shoot move shoot. Again, it was not bad for me, but also not what I would really want to spend my time playing, so good thing the guy who bought it did it just for the minis.

- Kingdom Defender is a Euro style game of, lets say light complexity just bordering on medium but not yet there. Is a Spanish game which is very much a rarity, specially to find out that a) the manual is good, like, really good, REALLY good, well explained without being verbose etc... and b) while not going to win any awards in originality, is a very competent game in its category, basically having working placement with a few and not particuarly complext tricks and your standard "several abstract and not very tematic ways to get points" paired with a bit of "theme" and indirect conflict. Basically you are one of the heroes that has to defend a city from a horde of We-Dont-Call-Them-Star-Spawn called the Grugog, so at some points during the game you have to stop your selfish colection of victory points to pool resources to face that. Or everybody loses points, but maybe you want that because you lose less? Anyway, the rest is standard worker placement, with a bit of a twist as the moment you do something outside the city you cant do stuff in the city anymore, so you have to watch out.

Everybody liked it, we played at the lesser difficulty (the game can be scaled and randomized more or less at the same mechanism - use different tiles for the buildings and hirelings and stuff) and won... again, is not a revolutionary design and is not the best game ever, but it is also seems to be very solid and again, national designs are mostly in the "filler" category so a well done Euro that doesnt have to envy anything from say, a German or Czech game is also noteworthy for us.

- 2 matches of Aeon's End, which is fun for what it is, although is one of those games where randomness of everything and not being experienced may put you into a bad situation; we battled the Carapace Queen 2 times, and the first time she wiped the floor with us. The second was tense but on our side. Fun game although I think I'll have more fun when it is out to play in the PC.

Gentleman Grunt

Master of Nothing!
Validated User
Just played Hyperborea. After having a group full of trepidation since it looked really complicated, they all took to it pretty fast with no major issues. Aside from having to learn all the symbols of course. Didn't finish the game since we had pet related incidences occur that interrupted. I would and do intend to play again.

WightMutt

The Doge One
Validated User
Pericles played the two turn start of the second peloponnesian war solo versus the bots.

Took an afternoon to do since I'm still learning the game and the rules, but was fairly tight even though I didn't start the bots on thier bonus VP.

Really need to get it on the table with some human opponents.

Top Bottom