Your last game played, part 2

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
Rhino Hero Super Battle, which never stops being fun. We have figured out some truly reckless and diabolical ways to stack those walls and floors.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
First we played Wingspan again, because one of the players hadn't played last time and really REALLY wanted to try it. Again, the game was a blast, though my combo wasn't as good this time IMO.

Then we played Arkham Horror 3e. I've played 2e and was at best ambivalent about it. This version is VERY different. We lost really badly, so I think some of my thoughts are tainted by how overwhelming the loss felt (literally every decision seemed to be the wrong choice, and the random bag draws were incredibly punishing). The modular boards and the story progressing as clues are accumulated are both fun. I think a twist in the story progression will only work the first time you play the scenario. Overall it felt "ok", but I've fallen out of love with FFG's never-ending train of expansions when it comes to their board games, and this one in particular seems custom built to allow nigh infinite expansions.

agoodall

Designated Import
Validated User
Played the solo game, Nemo's War, a week ago. It was my first time playing and I didn't make any major mechanical mistakes, just decision mistakes. I failed, but wasn't defeated. Even still, it was a little sad to read that my results led to Nemo and the Nautilus disappearing, never to be seen again. I felt like I let him down.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Friday night we played both Architects of the West Kingdom and Men at Work for the first time. The way Architects handles placing and returning workers is one of the more interesting mechanisms in Worker Placement games I've seen in awhile. Men at Work was a fun stacking game, but it doesn't seem particularly unique.

This week was also VERY heavy in Gloomhaven. I played 5 regular scenarios and 2 solo scenarios last week.

adamsmith

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Last games nigh we played Clank for the first time - heaps of fun, and a good beer and pretzels game.

Then we played Scythe again. Same person won again, by an increasingly large margin. Have to say, for a game that sells itself with pictures of mechs it doesn't have a lot of mech action in it. I'm not finding it very appealing TBH.

Mr_Flibble

Professional Amateur
Validated User
Scyth? Yeah, a war game where you lose (popularity) if you make war. Doesn't sit well with me either. Though, I don't hate the game, it's got too many avenues of progress to keep track off.

We've played The Binding of Isaac last tuesday. With 4 players.
The week before we played Highlander and I introduced the gang to Captain S.O.N.A.R. (3Vs3 and Turn-based)

The guy playing Russell in Highlander managed to behead 3 players (including me) in one go. He eventually won because of all the quickening tokens he harvested with Russell's skill, so he got to reroll and upgrade his dice to pretty much beat everyone that remained.

The other team won at Captain SONAR because we got one of the rules wrong (Poor translation of the manual apparently). The other team dropped a mine and triggered it on the same turn. As triggering the mine is a system activation it requires another move to be done first. We would've had them with a torpedo in our turn.

Geoff Watson

Validated User
On Monday I played Drift Kings. I'm not a huge fan of racing games, but it's better than the other racing games I've played.
Yesterday I played Ora et Labora, the second time I've played it, this time with the correct rules. I had hoped to get the Stone providers, and build lots of high-value stone buildings, but the other players grabbed them as soon as they were available, so I went for the coastal buildings instead.
We also played Illusion, which I don't particularly like, but it's acceptable as a quick time-filler.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Last games nigh we played Clank for the first time - heaps of fun, and a good beer and pretzels game.

Then we played Scythe again. Same person won again, by an increasingly large margin. Have to say, for a game that sells itself with pictures of mechs it doesn't have a lot of mech action in it. I'm not finding it very appealing TBH.
Scythe is an euro. Thats what it is at the core. Which yes, is a problem when you see the game first time, because you would swear is about war, but it isnt. War is just to make one of the objectives and nothing more, and thats just 2 stars that you can even win without getting them

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Earlier this week I snuck in one more game in my solo Gloomhaven campaign. It was the solo adventure for the Brute. Across all campaigns and test scenarios I've now played this game more than 70 times.

Speaking of Scythe, our Legacy group played the first game in the Rise of Fenris expansion. It was fun, but there wasn't much of a change (at this point) from a regular game of Scythe.

Then we played a game of The Mind, which wasn't as stupid as I thought. My opinion has gone from "ridiculous" to "I'll play it if others want to".

Top Bottom