Your last game played, part 2

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I didnt do some updates here so some stuff is lost to my goldfish-like memory... let see what I can remember for sure of this week and some stuff from weeks ago...

Lords of Xidit: which I liked very much, even if we ALL were awful at it (the concentration issues seem to be contagious; we failed at proper bookkeeping and I failed at remembering 3 times in a row you cant activate a site 2x in a year). Fun game, and the whole issue with the programming going wacko is more about "take that" and hilariousness ensuing than a defect, IMHO.

(If you dont know the game - you program ahead your 6 actions for that turn, everybody shows them and you resolve them in turn order, so it is possible that if you dont/cant take into account somebody else doing something before you, your whole turn is a ridiculous farce of you recruiting where there is no people, going to attack something that is not there anymore, etc)

Burgle Bros: we had fun with it, but a) the explanation in the manual is full of unclear situations, making you go back and forth a lot, or so we felt, and b) we have the nagging suspiction we did something wrong because we managed to rob the whole bank relatively easy. I'm not tasked with watching even more videos and read more FAQs and stuff to figure out what.

Micropolis: quick, easy, not very complex game. Probably not the target audience - I guess it plays great with kids - but we enjoyed it, is good for a quick play. And I won so yay!

Endevor: I liked it a lot, and I suck at this kind of games - even more if they have some spatial components and this has a bit, not much. Didnt do too bad even if I managed 1 route only. It is one of those games where you always feel constrained because you need all elements to do stuff but you cant have them all; if you concentrate in being able to buy better buildings you may not have a lot of new workers coming, if you have a lot of new workers coming you may not have expanded your capacity for played cards, etc. Came second so I call that a good show given my normal average when trying something like this for new. Now want to see the whole Books of Legends stuff and see how it meshes with the core game.

New Corp Order: took us a while to understand the game, but it is an interesting and quick one. Is basically area control (your use cards on 4 suites to play meeples from those 4 conglomerates to take over an array of 4x4 companies in different markets, and taken over a company lets you do some special stuff like interchange meeples in 2 different places, or refresh your cards, or tap somebody else cards). But the thing is, you dont play as any of those 4 conglomerates per se; you are going to score at the end of the game according of how many participations you have on the conglomerates, and your participations are the cards you played + the meeples you "ate" (you get one of the ousted conglomerate meeples every time you kicked somebody out). So in the end you have a fluid, interchanging way of going on that interconnects a lot; taking meeples from a corp gives you an interest on that (they are worth 2 shares per 1 share per card), but hey, they are no longer controlling stuff so they will not score at the end of a round.. but that may mean the difference between scoring most participations, second participation, or no participation and no points... All in all, a game with some deep but not too much to make it a heavy one, just not a trivial filler.

Gizmos: fun little engine building game. Easy to explain, colorful... good game. Not sure if it has a lot of staying power with us yet - people in the club may prefer more meaty things, but if you have that Race for the Galaxy itch, for example, but want something quicker to explain and quicker to play, this does perfectly.

Treasure Island, I think I didnt wrote about it when when played it. I liked it a lot, but the players didnt; or better to say, started very much interested and finding it intriged and ended up frustrated and saying is too confusing. Sore losers, I won as Long John :p But I see their point, although I think is a question of just relaxing and enjoying it for what it is. I want to try it again (doh, I pay for it, I want my money's worth:p) and there are others in the club interested, lets hope they dont feel the same.

Root, I already mentioned my last play on the Root thread. I now have to study the expansion to explain to people. Still a game I dont know how to feel about - not if it is good or bad, is good, but not sure in the end if it is something you approach as a game of strategies or more of a game of what is happening now and reacting to it and seeing that nobody else race to the finish before you.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Crumbs

Validated User
La Granga: No Siesta. Fun little roll and write with worker placement aspect. You roll dice pick one and pass the rest until all are picked then you decide if you want to use the dice but you only have limited tokens so you may not use all your options until you buy more.

Lost but it is part of my 20x5 challenge so sort of a win.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Root, I already mentioned my last play on the Root thread. I now have to study the expansion to explain to people. Still a game I dont know how to feel about - not if it is good or bad, is good, but not sure in the end if it is something you approach as a game of strategies or more of a game of what is happening now and reacting to it and seeing that nobody else race to the finish before you.
I feel similarly ambivalent. It's fun to explore the different factions, and each time I play I want to play again, but I don't know that I'd want to play if everybody was really good at their faction. If you watch the Shut Up and Sit Down review of the game, they have a similar feeling.

----

I had 5 more sessions of Gloomhaven in this week. I'm currently at 75 sessions in my solo playthrough, which has given me pause for a bit of reflection. There are over 50 scenarios NOT in the main book and I realized I've done nearly as many scenarios OUTSIDE the main book as inside.

On Friday we played two games. First we played Space Base which is a Machi Koro replacement in most cases IMO. It plays better and it's less mean than Machi Koro, but it's also just enough more complicated that I won't be able to play it with my nieces and nephews.

Then we played Yokohama again. It was my second game and I had to teach it to one player. This game is intimidating to look at for the first time, and a bear to teach, but actually plays pretty smoothly once you know what's going on. Lots of fun.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Today I played Aristeia against my friend Banzaizap. Its an arena combat/sports game, plays nicely, and I've really enjoyed it :)

Oh, and we streamed it!

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
This week was pretty busy for me. I first had 4 more scenarios in my solo Gloomhaven campaign.

On Wednesday I had a friend invite me over and we played both Power Grid and Thunderstone Quest, both of which were great.

Finally, I went to a local meetup and played Azul, Wingspan, and Kingsburg.

Mr_Flibble

Professional Amateur
Validated User
My second game of Rising Sun, playing the Bonsai Clan.

After this second play through I've got a better grasp of what I like and dislike about the way the game works.
I like how the battle element works, where you place blind bets on specific strategies, but I don't like how the losing players get the money of who won the battle. This completely ruins the edge of the player who's clan has monetary bonusses.
I don't like how the mandate system works combined with Allies/Enemies. If you're the last player, you're seriously hampered as you only get to play one political mandate per 'season'. This will also hamper your ally as he only get to profit from your mandate once. Not getting to build strongholds will lower your troop build-up and points where to spawn/summon them.

I did manage to build up a good number of VPs by committing honourable suicide, kidnapping enemy units and winning the battles that counted a couple of times.
But I didn't win in the end, because I lost the last crucial battle. The player who won the second to last battle had to fairly split the money between me and the other opponent.
He gave the odd coin to my opponent, who like me, put all the remaining cash on a bid to use Ronin to win the final battle.....as I was short one coin he won....
This caused me to not get a 3rd victory, which caused me to lose out on 10vp on the final score.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don't like how the mandate system works combined with Allies/Enemies. If you're the last player, you're seriously hampered as you only get to play one political mandate per 'season'. This will also hamper your ally as he only get to profit from your mandate once. Not getting to build strongholds will lower your troop build-up and points where to spawn/summon them.
I think if you play 3 players you would always get at least two mandates, but you're right for 4, 5, and 6 players.

Top Bottom