• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Your last game played, part 2

Mr_Flibble

Professional Amateur
Validated User
True, but I've never played it with less than 4 so far.
Everything does seem balance out in other spots.

durecellrabbit

Validated User
I played a game of L'Art de la Guerre using my Late Republican Romans against Vikings (mainland) with Holy Roman Empire Allies. I thought I was going to play against Gauls but had to make do with what I had. I ended up defending in a mountain with woods and steep hills on the left and a river and a marsh on my right.

I deployed a line of legionaries between a hill and the marsh with an elephant and Spanish mercenaries joining them. Viking archers advanced too far forward and were caught out by the elephant and Spanish. The huscarls and bondi attacked the Roman left flank causing some intial damage but the Spanish finished off the archers and turned the Viking flank. It took a bit longer for the right flank to be engaged but the Romans stood against Imperial knights, huscarl cavalry and more bondi. The knights caused some damage but the Romans held out against the rest. Some bondi were also killed by Numidians in the marsh. Suffering severe casualties attacking the Roman line the Vikings routed.

Most of the battle came down to dice throws. Not much my opponents could do with 1s and 2s against 5s and 6s.

I think I'm getting the hang of Romans now. You really need lots of legionaries, messing around with things like lots of cavalry auxiliaries just leaves you with too little heavy infantry and your cavalry will still lose to anyone with decent cavalry. Not sold on the elephant, it helped against the Knights with its panic AoE but spent the whole game trying to kill one puny little bowmen unit.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Weekend sessions Friday and Saturday night and both were the same games. So

2 matches of Root, in which I try the Riverfolk and the Lizards and manage to be an absolutely clueless dofus doing nothing on the table. Both won why the Vagabond on one of those "nobody watched and he took of" scenarios. I'm starting to think that maybe I'm too stupid for this game, and 99% of games :/. The Lizards I almost did "regular bad", just not having any bird cards left me with like 4 turns of "no, I'm not conspiring" so I just planted stuff everywhere without managing to convince anybody to actually hit me. The Riverfolk was a total disaster, almost nobody bought anything but the Vagabond, even with prices at 1, but that may be due to the personalities at the table...

2 matches of New Frontiers. New Frontiers is a "true boardgame" implementation of Rise for The Galaxy, so this is like what, a cousin of Puerto Rico? Race is a great game, but somehow too elegant sometimes - as everything is cards, you can get a bit tied up into both the randomness and the fact that hey... do I spend this or would it be useful?

Here everything is laid out in advance, the only randomness being the planets that are explored - the developments are all to see, money is a separate resource, so is more traditionally boardgame - you can see your path and see that you want to go to this and that development and work your way toward building what you need to do there.

Opinions where mixed. I and another guy liked it, one other player just said "eh, too much setup too much money I like Race better", one was new to all Race stuff so just a new game for him, and the other got the other end of the spectrum, "I liked it but I like Roll more, plus for all this I expected the game to be longer and let us develop more..."

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
4 more scenarios of Gloomhaven this week. I retired my entire crew on the same mission. New adventuring crew is Cragheart/Squid Face/Music Note.

I was out of town for most of the weekend attending my niece's 8 year birthday party. We ended up playing one game of PithcCar. My youngest niece (6 years old) won the game, and unfortunately the birthday girl came in last.

rolanddarktower08

Validated User
Game of Tenjo, abstract war game set in feudal Japan with a few magic magic elements. When we stopped due time I had the most points, and was declared shogun. Go moi!

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Busy week for me.

First 4 more solo games of Gloomhaven.

Friday I had the chance to play Spirit Island for the first time and the first game of Dominion in awhile. We played with the Prosperity expansion. I think I just like Dominion more than the rest of my group, which is disappointing.

Then on Saturday I was part of a game that ran Conan and then Ticket to Ride 10th Anniversary. The Conan scenario was "In the Clutches of the Picts", and for the third time that I've run this scenario the heroes managed to find the Princess in the very first of 8 randomly assigned huts, which turns a usually difficult scenario quite easy.

So all in all, a busy week.

Mr_Flibble

Professional Amateur
Validated User
It's been a while since we had played Zombicide. 5 players in a 6 player scenario from Season 2 Prison Outbreak.
Ended up too easy with the chosen characters. Including 2 with +1 melee weapon strenght, who were cutting down Abominations left and right.

2nd scenario involved some remote-controled doors. The player who stayed behind to control the doors got swamped by walkers when they got an extra activation during the spawn fase of the game. Effectively locking the rest of the players outside the prison and unable to fullfil the victory conditions.....
As we were at the end of our allotted time, so it was a good point to finish the game anyway :)

Crumbs

Validated User
Master Fox with my 4yr old and 7yr old daughters. Me and my older daughter came inside after playing on the swing and my younger daughter had gone into the game room while we were outside and pulled out the game and was setting it up on her own so we could all play a game.

Top Bottom