• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Your last game played, part 2

Crumbs

Validated User
Tiny Epic Quest solo. Stomped the game and remembered that while fun by the time you get to anything interesting item wise the game is over it does make it a good quick game but slightly disappointing.

HyperBear

Formerly 'agoodall'
Validated User
I haven't posted in this thread since the change in the board's software. I hadn't played many games until recently, anyway.

About a month ago I played Diplomacy. That... didn't go great. It ended in a draw (we mutually called the game) though I was a supply center away from a solo victory. One player was coaxed into playing, but unfortunately he was parked next to me. I did all I could do not to attack him, but he kept messing up. I felt sorry for him and kept him in the game as an ally, which perked up his disappointed, depressed mood (and gave him the opportunity to stab me near the end). If I was playing to win, I would have eliminated him right away, but I was trying to make the game enjoyable.

That was a lost cause due to another guy. This other guy was engaged enough and scheming against others just fine, as long as he was winning. But he left himself vulnerable, and it was either stab him or let the second place guy take his territories. I stabbed, he took it personally, and he rage quit. Apparently this is not the first time he's rage quit over a setback in a multiplayer game. He wasn't even in a horrible position when it happened. I don't know if we will play again, but if we do he won't be invited. (He also sulked out of our RPG group, but he'd lost interest months ago and cheated anyway.)

I ran several RPG events at Chupacabracon in Texas. While there, I managed a first time feat for me: we hit 5 game stores in less than 24 hours! We bought way too many games, too, though Alana (my wife) was the one going nuts with our spending spree for the most part.

Last weekend Alana and I played a couple of the games we got in Texas and a game I got for Christmas. We started with Jaipur, which Alana won, then Spirits of the Forest, which I won. Both are good games, and Spirits is gorgeous. The only quibbles I had with Spirits is that the rules could be clearer and the theme is very much painted on (even more so than Jaipur).

Then we played Saga of the Northmen. Alana isn't crazy about wargames, and she thought to this was one of them. But, she got it for me for Christmas and saw I had it out reading the rules, and I think she felt sorry for me not having someone else to play with. So she actually suggested playing it. She was pleasantly surprised. The mechanics were more abstract than she was expecting, and the rules were fairly easy. I ended up winning, but only the bonus points for the difference in route cards separated us. Alana would play again, but the game scratched the same itches as Ethnos, which she loves. If we end up with a third player, Saga's sweet spot, we will definitely try it again. In the meantime it will probably have to wait until I can get someone at the game store to play.

Finally, I played four games of Deep Space D-6, a solo spaceship command dice placement game. I lost the first three and only won the fourth because I set it to "fast" (removed 8 cards from the event deck). I'm not sure what I was doing wrong to keep failing, other than the game being unforgiving of any inefficient plays. I'll try it next time with one of the other ships (it comes with four).

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rage quitting on a Diplomacy game where you are stabbed is like... what did you think this was all about, son? :p

HyperBear

Formerly 'agoodall'
Validated User
Rage quitting on a Diplomacy game where you are stabbed is like... what did you think this was all about, son? :p
Seriously! It wasn't like he wasn't told, either. Everyone made it pretty clear that backstabbing is a near necessity to win. I tried not to, too, but he wouldn't listen to suggestions, either. I've never played a game of Diplomacy like it, where I was winning in spite of trying really hard not to win, just survive.

Oh, and he rage quit in the lamest way possible. He yelled about the unfairness of it all, pouted for a while, wrote up a set of hold orders for all his units, declared that was all they were doing from now on, and walked away in a huff.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The potential of getting stabbed in the back on a game as long as this one is the main reasons I don't play Diplomacy.
----
4 more scenarios of Gloomhaven this week. Coming very close to retiring the current crew. The next group will include a Diviner, but I'm not sure what classes to pair it with.

Also, our group finished the Rise of Fenris campaign expansion for Scythe. Some parts of it were fun, but our group did not like it nearly as much as the reviewers' opinions of it led us to think we would.

Last edited:

rolanddarktower08

Validated User
Axis and Allies - Japan was winning in territory count when we stopped, Germany was reeling from the combined British-Russian pounding she was taking, Russia was doing ok in Europe and less well on her front with Japan, the UK was mainly assisting Russia against Germany and the US....kept watching her transports get sunk in the Atlantic and the Pacific.

World War II grinds on.

RadioKen

well versed in chalupa law
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I hit the closet today to take a good look a some games we've owned for several years but never played. Got through two of them, though I only played one.

The first was Philippe Mocheboeuf's Courtisans of Versailles (why not "Courtiers?" I could not say), which we hadn't even punched yet. Once I reached the rule penalizing players for not addressing other players by their "proper title," I was pretty sure this wasn't going to be a good fit. Coming up on a negotiation phase pretty much sealed the deal--at least two of the people I regularly play with don't like negotiation-heavy games--so time to find another home for you.

The second was Rüdiger Dorn's Louis XIV: same theme, very different mechanics. The deal-cutting and backstabbing is abstracted into placing influence markers to obtain resources for fulfilling missions (by collecting pairs of resource tokens that match mission cards). Players have to manage money, influence markers (which are divided into active and reserve piles, with access to the later regulated) and resource tokens; placing influence is regulated by a hand of cards (dictating where you can place markers on a turn) and by the connections between courtiers (if you place multiple markers on a courtier, you can move some of them to adjacent courtiers). Sometimes you can bribe courtiers for a resource if another player wins the influence auction, and sometimes only the winner gets the resource. VPs score mostly by completing missions, but also by collecting heraldry tokens during play and at the final scoring (when most of your unused influence and resources gets converted to VPs).

It's got a lot of fiddliness--flipping tiles, intrigue cards, special rules for the King token (who alters the influence auction on a tile by his presence), and a weird VP wrinkle by which your matching sets of randomly-chosen heraldry tokens can earn you more VPs if you have the biggest set of one type. But the gameplay seems interesting enough to bring it to game night and try it with a group. A 4-handed solo playthrough took about two hours with no rules familiarity, which isn't far from the box estimate, but then I wasn't trying to strategize much.

Last edited:

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just 2 from last weekend, as I had high hopes of a gaming Saturday that were dashed by the stupid weather being so sunny and warm that everybody else decided to go to the beach, the traitors... so it was just Friday with:

- Detective, starting the campaign with some of the group members, which is the ... third parallel campaing I think at the club? It was great fun but is really weird. I mean, apart from the fact that we were so swamped out and confused that we missed stuff that was in front of us... the game is extremely simple in terms of mechanics, think "Choose your own adventure" levels of complexity, and the writing is at points very much a sub-standard attempt at crime/noir stuff (yes, tell me again about the coffee we are drinking)... but the game is incredibly absorbing just by presenting you with an incomplete puzzle and having you discuss with your peers what can fit what you can see. We did not that bad, not that great, with a middle grade evaluation, but everybody is very much wanting to keep at it... in 3 weeks or so when we are all back :/

- Dead of Winter, which I had not play in years and ... well, the problem is that it was the same guy that was doing Eldrich last time - he is enthusiastic and likes games that we dont see much at the club (this was mostly euro kind gamers and me the omnivore), but he is very sloppy. Like, how are zombies put in the colony? "Whatever way, it doesnt matter" is not the answer my man... in any case, we died, he won as traitor, and the game was fun, but really, try to actually read and memorize the manual first :p

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was on vacation for a week and was back in the town my parents, brother, and his family live in. As such I played a lot of lighter games with my young nieces. A lot of Klask, Beasts of Balance, and Las Vegas.

Mr_Flibble

Professional Amateur
Validated User
A 4-player game of Talisman

Endgame highlight was my Minotaur kicking the Dragon Hunter's ass over the Crown of Command.
It did take me 4 attempts to get past the Crypt though, ended up outside the Portal of Power every time. -_-

Top Bottom