• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Your last game played, part 2

RadioKen

well versed in chalupa law
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Latest in the solo playthrough series is new acquisition Tiny Towns, which actually does have a built-in solo variant. It's pretty challenging and kind of addictive; I played four games, each running 15-20 minutes.

Each player's board is a 4x4 grid, upon which they try to build as many structures as possible in the most advantageous arrangement. The trick is that in order to construct any given building you have to place a prescribed configuration of resource cubes, one cube per turn, on your grid. The same grid you're putting buildings on. Also, when you compete a (multi-space) configuration and construct a (single-space) building, the building token must go in one of the spaces you used for construction. You must place a resource cube every turn, and when you run out of open space and can't build anything else your game is over. The game ends when the last player runs out of usable space.

In the solo game resource cube availability is determined by a card draw; there are three cards face up at any given time, and five types of resources altogether. (In multiplayer the available resource each turn is called by the Master Builder, a role that rotates around the table.) There's another deck of cards that defines the possible range of structures for any given game. There are eight different types of building, and except for the super-basic Cottage and the special Monuments there are four versions of each type. Buildings can earn VP (usually in combination with other buildings) and/or provide special abilities of some sort.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I got the chance to play Escape Plan for the first time last night. It's a heavy Vital Lacerda game where the players are bank robbers who have stashed away their ill-gotten gains and are laying low. The police is on to you however and at the start of the game you have 3 days to run around town picking up your money and finally escaping the city. The person who escapes with the most money is the winner.

It's a fun game with surprisingly few actions (9 - 15 depending), though it can be a bit finicky and takes awhile to teach. Overall a fun experience, and one I'd love to play again (next up, either The Gallerist, or Vinhos).

Then we again played Downfall of Pompeii which is a table favorite of moving people into Pompeii and then running out when the volcano explodes while throwing other players pieces into the volcano.

---

ETA I also got in 3 more scenarios of Gloomhaven with a crew including the new Diviner. I'm still not sure what I think of the Diviner. I think with the right party she could be very good, but I don't think my party of Sun + Eclipse + Diviner is the right party.

Last edited:

rolanddarktower08

Validated User
Talon playing the introductory tutorial, played with just one ship per side. The dice were not with me today...at one point rolling 3 straight ones on attacks. Ones are not conducive to doing damage. Eventually my opponent got himself behind me and that was that. Fun game, looking forward to playing the larger scenarios.

HyperBear

Formerly 'agoodall'
Validated User
My wife Alana and I played The Mind last night two player. The first game we got to level 5 before losing all our lives. We were catching on, though, and we won our second game. Alana and I think a lot alike. This helped quite a bit, though there was this hilarious point where we were both thinking to ourselves, "Why isn't he/she getting this?" only to find out (at the cost of a life) that she had 49 and I had 50. "I guess that would have been a good time to use a throwing star."

So far, that was the best purchase we made from our big game shopping trip last month. The only criticism I have is that the estimated time to play was laughably wrong.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
We started the Imperial Assault campaing, and we (the Alliance) won the first scenario ... because we were given one extra turn. All in all, lets see how the thing goes, but while it is a kind of game I used to love and it is fun, it is also a beast of rules, specially with all the expansions, and what the hell is this icon, what the hell does this condition do, etc, etc... I'm really spoiled for more streamlined stuff.

Then a pair of the usual, a Terraforming Mars where I came second (I think I more or less know how to play this well, I just cant help buying too many cards), and a Scythe where I did my usual - very, very badly. For god's sake I dont know what to do in there, everybody gets to a ton of stars where I'm just getting my second or third.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I've pretty much given up on playing Scythe. It's a gorgeous game, and I'm very happy for those who like it, and I don't think they're wrong to do so, but I just cannot connect with it.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've pretty much given up on playing Scythe. It's a gorgeous game, and I'm very happy for those who like it, and I don't think they're wrong to do so, but I just cannot connect with it.
I like the game, but I'm the perpetual second place Scythe score in my group. It did not make Rise of Fenris fun. Second place in every mission in the campaign, and second place in the final campaign score.

Victim

Validated User
I played Glorantha: the Gods War the other night. It uses the same model as Cthulu Wars, and Chaos in the old World with spending power to do actions (with the amount ramping through early-mid game) and unique racial powers and upgrade paths. Bloodrage is similar, but uses drafting instead of faction abilities. I played Sea, which was pretty neat.

As usual in these games, someone else pulls out to early lead (Sky, because someone let him out first turn), and then after the outcry to stop the runaway I do something, and then people say "look at all the stuff Victim has now!" because I attacked the leader, and then kick the shit out of me so I don't have the points or the board position. And the person who had been leading went on to win, because the other two players didn't pay power to make sure he couldn't get the lion's share of the special late game points.

I kind of like these games, but the kind of kingmaking aspect to them does get to me. I mean, even in retrospect, I don't think my decision to attack was incorrect and based on other people manipulating me - especially since the early leader did win. But I end up in last (by a coin flip on the final vp allocation decision) for doing some damage to them.

Mr_Flibble

Professional Amateur
Validated User
We played an Arcadia Quest scenario yesterday evening with 3 players.
I started off strong by knocking out several goblins and orcs right away, followed by getting the first quest achievement by saving civilian.
Then my dice-rolls started failing badly for 4 turns in a row, losing the first PVP kill quest, but came back by knocking the offending players hero off the board.
And finally managed to grab the final quest goal by taking a token to the a particular room.
It came down to a single dice roll in the end where the last player failed to kill my hero carrying the token.
I ended up with some 22 gold coins and only two death curses (one of which was a "No Curse").

MVP hero was the one I had that allowed to move another hero to the spot of the enemy he just killed. That really allowed me to snag treasures and block off locations to others.

We ended the evening with a game of Guillotine....which I won as well.

RadioKen

well versed in chalupa law
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Played a couple more solo runs of Tiny Towns over the past few days. The luck of the draw can markedly affect solo play (my best game yet was enabled by a few key draws at dramatically appropriate moments), and I'm looking forward to seeing how multiplayer goes with player choice replacing the resource deck.

Top Bottom