• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Your last game played, part 2

Victim

Validated User
We tried out the new Raid mission in Imperial Assault. It's a one off mission in campaign style with some fixed set up elements where you essentially play for score from kills and objectives over six rounds, instead of having a specific win or lose condition. Our first try with ct, tress, drokata and jynn scored 110, and then fenn, mak, dial a, and garkhan got 105. Garkhan was pretty disappointing, since his low level stuff is often defensive, and the enemies don't apply that much pressure (on normal).

I think we want to try jarood with the upgrade for his droid buddy to let it interact, which could make scoring the widely spaced objectives easier.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
4 more games of solo Gloomhaven over the course of the week.
---
Friday night was a first play of Edge of Darkness and a play of Roll for the Galaxy.

Saturday our group played Mission: Red Planet and Viticulture.

Sunday was another play of Edge of Darkness, one of Trash Pandas, and a first play of Kitchen Rush.

So all in all a very busy gaming week.

OMG

Meat Popsicle
Validated User
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle

This game is pure evil. There are 7 "levels" to it, you advance through them in order. Each time you beat the game you advance to the next level where tougher villain and events are added to the game. My teenager daughter and I have been playing it off and on for the last year and finally at the 7th year. It's bloody impossible to beat :ROFLMAO:

Mr_Flibble

Professional Amateur
Validated User
We played a 4-player game of Chartered yesterday.
We thought it was pretty good. Pretty light in rules but pretty deep in strategy.
You build and expand warehouses and buy shares in the stuff stored in those warehouses (Gold, Silver, Diamonds, Opium, Gun Powder, Pepper...and such).
The more you expand a particular warehouse the prices of the shares go up, and buying those shares gets expansive.
Until two (or more) warehouses intersect and the bigger one swallows the smaller ones (causing the shares of the smaller houses to be sold off at their current price).
The game continues until all the warehouses have been placed on the board.
You win by having the most money (cash and the total value of all the shares)

I thought I was doing pretty good with my shares in Coffee, but one player ended up with nearly all the shares in gunpowder and that turned out to be the biggest warehouse with the most expensive shares.

We ended the evening with a quick game of Trogdor which we lost...euh "rage quit" as the game puts it.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not much because both the Imperial Assault and Descent things hit the usual problems of not being able to have a schedule that is ok for everybody, or the unsettlingly common experience too of somebody injuring himself and having to sit it out.

We managed to get together to finally play Fury of Dracula for the first time, but it was a bit underwhelming - after a long explanation, our Dracula was a bit too inexperienced and managed to get quickly cornered in Spain, meeting his end in a 4 to 1 beating in Zaragoza way too early. Next time we will use the extended rules and I'm going to be Dracula, lets see if we manage a bit more time because killing the guy on Monday of the second week is a bit of a letdown. Pity, because Dracula player did a great job of explaing the rules; I guess she put all her mind into that and not into beating us to a pulp...

Some Wingspan too that I imagine will see a bit more play now with the award and all that. Fun game, good game, easy to teach... still feel like it just lacks a bit of something to be one of the classics, but more than deserving of the price this year.

And today I'm going to teach and play Pax Pamir 2nd edition so lets see how that goes. Then its nothing this weekend as I have to go home to Galicia.

Unless some of you have recommendations for good games to play with 80 years old non-gamers :p

SibKhatru

Validated User
Recent stuff played at WBC:

Jaws -- pretty fun... captures the essence of the first movie very well, and my 15-year old ate the old guys

Ypres -- Compass Games ww1 tactical and campaign game, just did some learning with few counters

Mansions of Madness 2e, quite a fun but long scenario

Keyforge -- my son almost wrecked me! close game

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
And Pax Pamir saw the table for the first time.

The guys with some experience in Pax Porfiriana and Renassiance liked it, thinking it was a bit simpler but not as a bad thing but as a compliment - less complicated bullshit to have in the game, more easy to grasp. All of us were a bit underwhelmed by the sudden death as we got the 2 last checks together and nobody had any real strategy in place.

Me, I need to play this more, but I can see the game has great deep... but I'm a bit worried because it also requires you to watch a ton of things. To remember some rules that you have to account for and not forget (overthrown), to see the whole market and think about not only what you want but what other wants, to see all the other players courts... it is a bit overwhelming. Again, not in terms of rules (except Overthrow and stuff like that that mean you have to keep auditing the plays), but in terms of the state of the game being so distributed that maybe not checking the other guy situation is what will end up ruining yours.

But I'm also suffering for a serious bout of depression so maybe thats why I'm not that happy. My brain tells me there is depth to explore here. Lets see if we can for one play enough to actually master instead of being always a group of newbies feeling our way in the dark.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
Played a game of Star Patrol Micro, the solitaire microgame of checking those waypoints while I was waiting for the guild to get set up for missions in GW2. I actually managed to finish out a patrol my first time out, despite the fact that the game mustered the largest possible pirate force on the final patrol step. I opted to flee, due to having a less-than full missile load and got a bit toasted for my troubles, but any day you make it back is a good day.

Ended up with a final tally of 8 scoutships, 4 fighters, and 2 bombers, and if I know anything about the average space pirate population, this was a slow day at the Star Patrol office.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
4 more plays of Gloomhaven. Coming up on finishing all the scenarios in the base game, and I've already finished all the side-content except for Forgotten Circles.
---
Spent the weekend with family, so we played Dr Eureka, Sheriff of Nottingham, and No Thanks! with my nieces.

Top Bottom