• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Your last game played, part 2

RadioKen

well versed in chalupa law
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Was late to game night on Friday but got in at the beginning of Lorenzo il Magnifico because they were still reviewing the rules. Came in last because twice I misread card symbols to mean I got two things instead of having to exchange one for another; one of those got me excommunicated in the second papal review.

Last edited:

HyperBear

Designated Import
Validated User
Our local store had a "GenCan't" event on Saturday, and my wife Alana and I managed to play more games in a day than we had in the last several months.

We started out with 2 games of Century Spice Road. Alana had bought this one. We both enjoyed it quite a bit. For a fairly simple game, it has a fair bit of depth.

After we finished, the organizer brought over Ingenious, a Reiner Knizia game we'd never seen. Another player joined us, so we got to play 3-sided. We were kind of "meh" on it, with the other player (Brendan) winning by getting to 18 on all his colors. This is supposed to be a rare event, so I figured we had done something wrong. Sure enough, we were scoring wrong and we assumed you had to play next to another color, which you don't. That's what happens when you read the rules for the first time in a group setting. Would like to try that again sometime with the right rules.

Alana took a break, so I payed Ethnos with Brendan. I got my revenge on him as he focused too much on territories and not enough on warband sizes, but only because I lucked out with a quick arrival of the dragon.

Brendan pulled out Fantastic Beasts: Perilous Pursuit, a Potterverse-themed dice-rolling co-op. I played with Brendan and a friend (Chris). Brendan had played it a few times but never won. In the end, we won! Alana watched when she returned and was intrigued, so I suspect she might pick it up.

After dinner we played a couple of games of Arboretum, a game we purchased back in May. The game is beautiful and well-designed, but after the game we realized that neither of us "got it". It's just one of those cases where the game didn't click for us. Our scoring was kind of pathetic, while our two opponents scored considerably better than us. So, while we enjoyed playing as an activity, I'm not sure how likely we'll be to pull it out any time soon.

For our last game, I played Ogre with our friend, Steven. I game him a Mark V and proceeded to set up my forces badly. Furthermore, my rolls were awful, as another friend, Chris, can attest. I might have been able to stop him, but it was unlikely. With time growing short, I conceded. Steven played well for his first hex-based wargame. He wants to play again, and I think I can introduce him to some other wargames.

Rounding out the weekend, yesterday I played 2 solo games of the co-op, The Captain is Dead (1 with two characters and 1 with three). The first was over far too quickly (and I realized I played a rule wrong that would have helped considerably), the second took longer but I realized that the crew mix was wrong, so fixing the jump core was going to take too long. This was my first time playing it, so I will hopefully be better at it.

HyperBear

Designated Import
Validated User
Played a game of Reykholt last night with Alana. This was a game that was on her wishlist for Christmas, but wasn't out by then. When it was released in January, it received some lukewarm reviews. While in Austin for Chupacabracon, the manager at The Gaming Goat talk to us about it at length and sold us on it. This was our first time playing, and we quite enjoyed it. We don't have many worker placement games (maybe 2, I think), so we weren't sure what to think at first. As the game kicked in, the play smoothed out quite well. I ended up losing by about 3 tables (essentially VP slots on the board).

I do have a couple of criticisms of the game, mostly in presentation. I had trouble with the rulebook. I read the PDF without having the board in front of me, and I couldn't make sense of the game flow. The book desperately needs an example of play. We ended up watching a Gameboy Geek how-to-play video on YouTube that made it much easier to play. There were also some cases not mentioned in the rules that I only found out about after the game when I saw a FAQ on Board Game Geek.

The other issue is with the worker spots on the middle of the board. The print for what each spot allows you to do is tiny. There are icons, but we didn't find the icons all that intuitive. We ended up having to stand over the board and read the spots every time we went to place a worker, at least until we got used to the available slots. Otherwise, the game is very attractive. I plan to make a couple of reference cards so that we don't have to stare at the small type in the center of the board.

Mr_Flibble

Professional Amateur
Validated User
We got in one and a half game of RoboRally (2015 edition) last Tuesday.
First map was chosen from the "Robots Must Die" part of the book. And I think we finished it in 30 minutes (with me only hitting the first waypoint of the three)
Second game lasted way longer and got messed up due to people being pushed off spawn points and getting pushed off the board section while suffering double penetrating damage or reboot damage all the time. Soon we ran out of spam cards. It just didn't go anywhere until we ran out of time.

ecs05norway

Validated User
Got in our first playtestish round of JC Lawrence's 1828 this past Saturday. There are some subtle differences between this and many more common 18xx games, some of which we got wrong, such as system shells' obligation to own a train. Still, it's an interesting varation on the theme, and one I'd like to play again.

RadioKen

well versed in chalupa law
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Got my first taste of Sentinels of the Multiverse tonight: a four-player game, set in Megalopolis, against La Capitán. I played Captain Cosmic (chosen as a tribute to Bob Wilkins); my teammates were Tachyon, Expatriette, and Omnitron-X. We squeaked out a narrow victory.

I liked the game OK, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to play it again.

rolanddarktower08

Validated User
The Talon campaign continues. Took out one of my pal's carriers, but this was more that offset when he got my dreadnought. And he is chipping away at my lower cost ships. I'm behind about 200 points. :/ We'll see if I can catch up. Stay tuned.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Gloomhaven campaign continues apace. 4 more scenarios completed.
---

Our game night started with a game of King of Tokyo. We'd all played it before, but realized we hadn't played in awihle. Next was Puerto Rico. Every time I play it I understand more and more why it was BGG #1 for so long. We finished off the night with a game of Las Vegas.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Got my first taste of Sentinels of the Multiverse tonight: a four-player game, set in Megalopolis, against La Capitán. I played Captain Cosmic (chosen as a tribute to Bob Wilkins); my teammates were Tachyon, Expatriette, and Omnitron-X. We squeaked out a narrow victory.

I liked the game OK, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to play it again.
Oof, that's a pretty rough match for your first one.

Last night, played a round of Lanterns with my family. My dad, who'd never played before, beat us pretty handily. He caught on faster than he would admit.

Top Bottom