Your thoughts regarding crafting time for crafting mechanics.

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One option for retroactive crafting would be to just make it a flavor of a general ability that allows players to spend metacurrency for their characters to have had some nifty gadget all along. So one character might go "I just happened to have built this handy thing recently" while another is "I just bought the solution to our problem off Amazon the other day" and a third is "oh, we need a [whatever]? Guess what I have in my pocket?"

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
So I think there should be significant investment of time and/or resources involved and some importance. Otherwise you might end up with the guy who figures out in Excel, "I can make 24 potions per day. Each potion costs 40 gold to make and sells for 60 gold. I leverage my 480 gp profit into the Advanced Potion Kit for +10% potion production..." :)
Is that so bad? I mean, it is how people actually approach their real-life business. So long as the GM is willing to model the market (Oh sorry, no one needs one of them any more, market has dried up). I've played Warcraft just like this.

Is that so bad? I mean, it is how people actually approach their real-life business. So long as the GM is willing to model the market (Oh sorry, no one needs one of them any more, market has dried up). I've played Warcraft just like this.
I agree with you. It also demonstrates that your crafting mechanic is almost always going to be tied to your wealth mechanic; this sort of thing wouldn't work in a game where wealth is more abstracted like a la World of Darkness.

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
I agree with you. It also demonstrates that your crafting mechanic is almost always going to be tied to your wealth mechanic; this sort of thing wouldn't work in a game where wealth is more abstracted like a la World of Darkness.
What I did in Sun Keld was to allow crafting for money to accumulate XP towards raising your Wealth score, so it can work with a semi-abstract wealth system, but I agree, WoD is even more abstract. Would allowing crafting to accumulate XP towards dots in Wealth work? I suspect not, it is probably not a granular enough scale. WoD pretty much assumes that any normal form of business is part of your existing wealth level. i.e. it maintains it, but can't change it.

Xander

Validated User
I can see that some players would want to simulate crafting as business, which should have some wealth effect.

I'd prefer to jump right into the action/adventure game - I make wealth for someone else in my 40-hr a week job, so I don't really need to emulate work. :)

The potential disconnect is if the crafting player talks about his potion business with the DM for 30 mins at the start of the game, when the other players are waiting to slay monsters and loot the room. That's where a PC game excels, if the player wants to micro-manage a business. But if the other players are not invested in that business, it takes attention away from the shared game everyone should enjoy.

Top Bottom