• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Zoe Quinn Rolls Deep: Exposing The Raid Chats Via Screengrabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Scribbler

A Flash of Hope
Validated User
So Zoe Quinn has apparently been lurking on 4chan and other places taking screen grabs for about three weeks, sending them along to the FBI and now making some of them public.

It essentially proves many of her claims and shows that there were definitely people using/shaping #Gamergate for their purposes.

Far too long for me to post it all.

https://storify.com/strictmachine/gameovergate

Furious Fish

Do you know how to get to
Validated User
I arrived late to this whole thing and I kind of feel like I need to understand what's going on, but there's so many layers of bullshit involved at this point I don't even know what I'm looking at.

Aliandris

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I arrived late to this whole thing and I kind of feel like I need to understand what's going on, but there's so many layers of bullshit involved at this point I don't even know what I'm looking at.
I have been trying to follow it and I still dont fully grasp what is going on.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
I have been trying to follow it and I still dont fully grasp what is going on.
I understood Part 1 with the whole blowup about Zoe/the spillover online/etc, but this is going right over my head as well. Why is the FBI involved? I mean if it's due to the death threats that's good, but I can't tell if that's why the FBI is involved. I don't see any mention of death threats.

I mean reading this I feel like I'm looking at a version of the Federalist Papers which was physically translated into French and then fed through Google Translate to turn it back into English or something. I literally have no idea what this all says.

JdRavnos

Geek Visionary.
Validated User
I understood Part 1 with the whole blowup about Zoe/the spillover online/etc, but this is going right over my head as well. Why is the FBI involved? I mean if it's due to the death threats that's good, but I can't tell if that's why the FBI is involved. I don't see any mention of death threats.
Well aside from coordinated attempts to malign her character and others they don't like, they discuss doing illegal things like trying to hack websites. That's the kind of thing that the FBI gets involved in.

Short version:

1. Zoe Quinn has got a lot of hate simply by being a woman and making a alledged non-game. Mostly this was motivated by and misogyny the lulz.
2. A few weeks back, someone claiming to be her ex-boyfriend showed up on 4chan or similar, publicly airing a lot of grievances from their relationship. It's really nasty breakup stuff, and really not related to her developing.
2b. It also transpired that she had begun an relationship with a video game journalist, who had written an article related to her earlier, through which they had met.
3. People got on her case about it, because she's Zoe Quinn, and she is to be hated.
4. Death threats, etc.
5. This, in conjunction with the response to latest Feminist Frequency videos coming out at the same time, created a generalized storm of misogynist shitflinging from 4chan-like circles.
6. This motivated a bunch of journalist, bloggers and columnists write a bunch of angry pieces, with the provocative tone of "Gamer identity need to die / is dead." It mostly concerned the toxicity/misogyny present in the hobby, communities and communications.
7. This in turn created the #gamergate hashtag, which was about defending the 'gamer' identity with the goal of 'bringing ethics to gaming journalism'. What this meant varied, either actual journalistic ethics or silencing voices concerned with problematic issues, or just general railing against "Social Justice Warriors". A lot of folks seemed to have a problem with Quinn and the writers relationship, or writers participating in developer / each others kickstarters and crowdfunding.
8. In conjunction with the stated goal, the harassment campaigns were ongoing near or with the #hashtag.
9. The posted logs are a bunch of 4chan-originated folks co-ordinating (or trying to) the harassment, attacks and silencing as the actual goal of the #gamergate hashtag.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
I understood Part 1 with the whole blowup about Zoe/the spillover online/etc, but this is going right over my head as well.
The main thing is how she was able to easily infiltrate the super-secret treehouse, and get logs of these guys talking about what awesome scheming puppetmasters they are. It makes them look like idiots, and more importantly, makes anyone who was involved in their side of this nonsense also look like an idiot. The ones who look like the biggest idiots are those who got involved because they actually believed the propaganda. They pushed the conspiracy angle so hard that there is no way to weasel out of this. They dug their own grave.

Any action by law-enforcement will just be icing on the cake.

Bryant

Sleepy
Validated User
So someone made the interesting decision to release the full logs. I'm not sure this is going to prove that the IRC channel is innocuous.

Aug 18 17.32.38 <cuteGamrgrll> ya'know, the best part about this is.
Aug 18 17.32.40 <cuteGamrgrll> no matter what happens
Aug 18 17.32.43 <cuteGamrgrll> we still broke phil fish.
Aug 18 17.32.46 <VidyaBro> anyone wanna sacrifice cash for dox
Aug 18 17.33.10 <cuteGamrgrll> shit, how much is it?
Aug 18 17.33.21 <Five-Guys> $4
Aug 18 17.33.24 <Five-Guys> i think
Aug 18 17.33.28 <VidyaBro> cutegamergrll its less than $5 I think
Aug 18 17.33.46 <Five-Guys> oh fuck, membership plans
Aug 18 17.34.06 <Five-Guys> 14:80 is the least that can be payed i think
Aug 18 17.34.56 <SaladCream> Any luck on the wife hunt?
Aug 18 17.35.04 <Cyberserker> Once someone buys the dox, yes
Aug 18 17.35.05 <Five-Guys> facebook yields nothing
Aug 18 17.35.13 <cuteGamrgrll> The dox might not yield much.
Aug 21 17.21.21 <rd0951> "You aren't allowed to use 4chan as a place to organize harassment campaigns."
Aug 21 17.21.25 <rd0951> since fucking when

Morrius

Banned
Well aside from coordinated attempts to malign her character and others they don't like, they discuss doing illegal things like trying to hack websites. That's the kind of thing that the FBI gets involved in.
I don't think discussing committing a crime is illegal in and of itself. IANAL, but what charges is she trying to bring up? Conspiracy to commit fraud?

This whole thing reminds me of Tumblr's attempt to raid 4Chan a while back. That ended badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom